Flickr and Instagram

www.flickr.com
velvettangerine's Instagram photoset velvettangerine's Instagram photoset

Monday, November 14, 2011

Midcentury Monday #18

  



I've said it before and I'll say it again, Christmas and I are not friends. However, I can never resist the charm of old Playskool toys. Now that Christmas commercials are appearing freakishly early I'm reminded of the Playskool toys I had when I was a kid.

Playskool, as we know it, came to be in 1943 when they bought the J.L. Wright Company - makers of Lincoln Logs.  Through mergers in 1958 and 1962 the company acquired a wood product manufacturer and a producer of wooden blocks, checkers, and construction sets.  In 1968 Playskool became a subsidiary of Milton Bradley.

I think what sets Playskool toys apart in our memories is their visual and design simplicity, placing emphasis on educating the preschool set in a time before rampant television programming for children, computers, and video games.  I will always remember the Playskool merry-go-round my mother saved for me to play with, as well as my plastic record player and my friend's Lincoln Logs.

Here's a little collection of (now) vintage toys and wholesome advertising.  I dared go as late as the 70's, shocking,  I know.















^ a crappy image of a cute advertisement from '64 ^




What's going to be exponentially more exciting than this post is when I round up all the toys that were totally cool in the 1940's/50's/60's but today would make parents and teachers alike scream out loud.  Like this toy submarine gun with siren!






1 comments:

Betty Crafter said...

I'm with ya on the vintage toys, but for me my weakness is Fisher Price Little People. Little Betty has almost all of them. It's excessive.

Post a Comment